Wednesday 17 February 2010

From Dawn to Ducks!

Last weekend was, of course, the weekend of love... and I loved my weekend!!



Saturday was superb. Started out nice and early as I had to take John to work; perfect timing to get up onto Moulin Moor for sunrise again. I had tried the weekend before, but the weather was miserable... dull, grey, snowy, just plain 'dreich' as they call it round here! Saturday promised to be a wee bitty better so I tried again and was rewarded with a mild, pastel-hued and dappled dawn sky above the moor. Maybe not spectacular, but prettily pink nonetheless (sorry Walter, I know you hate pink but pink it was and I had no control over that!).

I pottered about the old cottage again and started wondering about poor old Mr Soutar. I say 'old Mr Soutar' but I have no idea how old he actually was when he died. I think I mentioned last week that he lived in the cottage and died back in 1800 and something, well I found the memorial stone and wrote the inscription down for you this week because I think it's important. It's tragic and sad but also quite heartwarming at the same time. I also think it's important when I spend so much time pottering about his place that I try and find out a bit more about the man.

I want to know who Mr Soutar was and wonder if he minds me being there now. I hope he doesn't. I love the old place and feel really at home there, even though it is falling apart and ruined. Hmm, analyse that!! Anyway, what I find heartwarming about Mr Soutar's story is the last line of the inscription...

"In memory of John Soutar
who perished here in a snowstorm 3rd March 1897
Erected by a few friends"

I like that simple but telling 'Erected by a few friends'. The temperature was -4 but I never felt cold. I felt cosy and at home... ok, a few layers of tech mountain gear certainly helps, but I felt peaceful and warm on the inside. I sat by the ruins of Mr Soutar's cottage and wondered who he loved and how he lived.

I sat for quite a while watching the clouds, wondering about a stranger's life, took photos from where I sat but never, at any point, noticed the heart-shaped stone on the wall beside me!!



As soon as I started editing the files there it was, as clear as anything! How on earth did I miss it in real life? On Love Weekend of all weekends!!!

Anyway, totally unaware of the nearby heart of stone, my heart was light as I set off up the hill behind the cottage. It doesn't look much from there, but by 'eck, my heart was ready to explode by the time I got to the top, I'm so unfit! It's one of those hills that has false peaks... just when you think you're getting to the top, yikes, there's even more to climb!

It is worth the climb though, the view is beautiful. Not the craggy in-your-face high peaks you get in the West, but just as beautiful in their own understated way.



I had the famous grouse for company... The 'Famous Grouse' is only a few miles and wing flaps away (by Crieff), so I do like to believe that he was strutting his stuff in the snow just ahead of me :-)



A couple flew off as I neared the top so maybe he was entertaining a lady grouse friend on this lover's weekend. Oops, never was very subtle... how rude of me, barging in on his cosy tryst!! Sorry fella!

Having got to the top it only then dawned on me that a bowl of 'Red Berries Special K' just isn't man enough for this job. A bacon roll was calling, but that was back in Blair and I was 1089 foot up the top of a hill. Time for my lardy waterproofed arse to come into action.

Wooooo, that's the way to get down!!!

Oh my word, how much fun was that? Sliding down near-vertical slopes on my backside at speeds far too fast to be sensible! Sensible? Who needs sensible? I may be rapidly approaching 43, I may be Great Aunt Becca, but who said I have to be sensible? I laughed out loud all the way down, totally alone, not a soul for miles around... apart from Mr Grouse and his bird of course ;-) and it was so funny. I tried taking a photo but it didn't really work. Added some effects in PS to try and give an impression but hey ho, you'll just have to use your imagination there.



When I got to the bottom it occurred to me that I could have video'd the slide on my phone and it would have been pretty funny, but the bacon roll was more appealing than the thought of climbing back up the hill just so I could film the trip down!! Maybe another time if the snow is still there ;-)

So, bacon roll mission accomplished, it was on to the next stop, Restenneth Priory at Forfar.



An ancient site dating back to the Picts, Restenneth Priory as it stands (in ruins) today really formed from around 1100AD. Obviously there have been extensive builds and re-builds along the way, but there is still very much an ancient feel to the place.

I went with Niaesha, my friend and assistant,



and we were amazed at the transformation to the stones when the sun broke through the clouds. The late afternoon sun painted the stone in a gorgeous warm golden light, and cast a beautiful shadow from the large tree at the perimeter wall onto the face of the tower. A door in the perimeter wall laid a path of light up to the main chapel, totally transforming the scene and rather taking our breath away!

As the sun sank lower towards the horizon, we decided that Restenneth was done and Forfar Loch would be a lovely end to a fantastic day. The sunset was fairly muted, and the loch isn't the most picturesque in Scotland, but it was a most pleasant end to what had been an extremely pleasant day.



From dawn to ducks, a day well spent indeed :-D

Rebecca,x

http://www.rtphotographics.co.uk/
e-mail rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk

5 comments:

  1. Nice blog - I shall refrain from comment on your anatomy. Daft boooger at your age - wish I had been there to capture that.. worth £250 quid any day :)) But I would have had to ensure that there was an oxygen tent and medical assistance available by the time I got to the top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, thanks Walter, 'daft boooger' suits me perfick ;) I like it!! As for the climb, it is a lot steeper than it looks from the road that's for sure! I thought I was going to be in need of oxygen and medical assistance myself, yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thingmy.... Enjoyed your blog and look foward to many more......

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I wanted to see a picture of bacon butty ! I reckon Niaesha is stuffing it down secretly looking at the pic! :-) I will make do with the first landscapes image instead :-) Best wishes, GlynX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Andy, good to see you again and I'm sorry it took so long to reply! Been having a few personal issues but am back and blogging again!

    Ah Glyn, I'll get you a bacon butty for sure! x

    ReplyDelete