Sunday 11 July 2010

Of Pigs & Pooches!!

I think you all know by now how much I love pooches and, after having recently lost my furry-chopped companion of the last 18 months, I've been a bit down in the mouth for a while. I've turned a corner now though.



Quite literally actually... a new corner on a new walk that I never knew existed even though it's only a couple of miles away from here! I met up with my pal Helen, who also happens to be related in a very convoluted kind of way, but she was a friend before I knew of the family connection... one of those oddly coincidental things! Anyway, Helen is a dog walker down here in Wokingham (http://www.skippiescaninewalkabout.co.uk/) and that's how we met, as she walks her charges where I used to walk with Hogy.

We met up for a walk and a chat about pet portraits in the woods off Coombes Lane. I'd never heard of it before but it's absolutely beautiful. I will definitely be back over the next few weeks and months, for sure! It's a mixed deciduous woodland where the canopy is open enough for light to filter down to the understorey to create a nicely diverse woodland floor, with evidence of the remains of thousands of bluebells! Definitely the place to be in the spring next year!! Helen was walking Lou, a Harlequin Great Dane who was often companionable with Hogan...



well, she was an opportunist companion actually, pretending to be his friend but she was only really interested in his frisbee! It was hilarious to watch her!! Exceptionally slobbery, Lou is a lovely dog. She's always good fun and so good natured... but wow, she is very slobbery! Clean-on that day cream coloured trousers, d'oh!!

Along Coombes Lane and around the corner, Helen took me to a truly wonderful find... 'Wysipig' (what you see is pig). What a place!



Not only is there a farm shop and coffee shop, but there are all sorts of vintage vehicles in various states of repair and disrepair,



as well as Mabel the pig who roamed at will around the yard... and who also nibbled at my clean-on cream coloured trousers with her grubby but clearly hungry and inquisitive snout!! D'oh again!



Mabel was gorgeous though, and although a little bit shy at first she responded very well to a good scratch behind her ears. She's obviously rather partial to it because she just kept coming back for more... or was it for another nibble at my trousers? Hmm.

If you're in the area Wednesdays to Saturdays, look out for Wysipig http://www.wysipig.co.uk/. It is a truly astonishing little place, the produce is totally organic and, Helen assures me, the ham is to die for!

But aside from all of that, my walk out with Helen was very restorative in lots of ways and I can't thank her enough for that. We're having a practice barbecue for her 40th birthday at my younger sister's house next weekend. She won't be 40 until next year, but we thought it best to have a practice this year to be ready for the big day next year!! Practice makes perfect eh? At least I know where I shall get the sausages from!! Sorry Mabel.

Rebecca, x
www.rtphotographics.co.uk
rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment