Saturday 9 October 2010

Film Fanatic?

Well, I have the results of my first foray into film and, probably much as expected, I have mixed feelings!

I enjoyed the experience of using the film camera, and will undoubtedly be going out with it again and doing more, but I was (as expected, really) rather underwhelmed by the prints.



The negatives have all the detail I wanted, but the person who processed them took out every bit of detail in the sky and left it a bland, burned out white. Humph! Now, I did expect that, especially because I took this first film into a high street developers and I know full well that they aren't going to try very hard at all to get a great looking print... they do have the word 'Snaps' in their name after all and pride themselves on that. But, I thought it was only a first film and I knew that it'd be less than good and I have absolutely no idea how to go about developing the film myself... which is where the mixed feelings come in again - I WANNA KNOW HOW TO DO IT!!!!!!!!



My goodness, I'm so excited at the prospect of getting back in control again, as I do in the digital world.

I may process my digital images in a totally different way to how you might do it, but that's the point. We are each in control when we sit by our computers and work our images the way we like them to be. If that way pleases other people too, well that is obviously so very much better, but at the end of it all, your image needs to please you. By handing my film over to a chap in a shop, I handed over any control I had over the way the images turned out.

I know that there are people out there and labs out there who will work with you to get the results you want... but let's face it, this was a first time foray into film and I wasn't about to go spending wads of cash on something that was only ever going to be viewed as a rather shaky platform from whence to begin.



The images without sky were ok, I suppose, and, bearing in mind these are from scans, I'm quite happy that I can take some kind of a photo without the aid of an LCD and histogram! It's all a start and I fully intend to continue - albeit as a hobby, for fun only; the control of digital processing still reigns supreme as far as I'm concerned!!!!

Rebecca, x

No comments:

Post a Comment