Thursday 24 February 2011

Dinton Dreams

Since moving back south of the border, I've rediscovered the simple, innocent joys of birding!

It's something that I used to do as a student at the University of Aberdeen, once upon a long time ago and is something that I gave up when I left there... much to my own regret and shame! But now I'm back down south and mistress of my own time again, it's something that I can now start again, proudly and with head held high, instead of hiding it as a guilty pleasure!

I've always been a bit of a geek, but where once that was a problem, now I'm free and proud and will say it clear and loud... I'M GEEKY & I'M REALLY HAPPY WITH THAT!!! So, there we are, I'm back into the birding at very long last!

Dinton Pastures, halfway between Reading and Wokingham, is a good spot for learning the joys of birding again.



It's local, it's lovely, it's diverse and can be really quite exciting at times! The biggest draw for me at the moment is the lure of Bittern. There are 3 reported to be overwintering here and I've never seen one in my life! How much would I love to see one? Oh, I'd love to see one lots!!! I've been along so many times now, at various times, and still I haven't seen one!

I'm really not a very lucky person in any way, shape or form, but even my friends struggle to believe that I can be so blooming unlucky!!! I am, of course, used to it by now, and that's why I keep perservering. Persistence pays, isn't that right? We all get what we deserve in the end don't we? I really, really hope so!!!



So, here we are then, another few hours at Dinton, dreaming and hoping and wishing and praying... and going home disappointed yet again! Still, it's a nice enough place to sit and watch the sun go down. And there's always next winter. Or the winter after that. Ho hum. Again.

Rebecca, x

rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk
www.rtphotographics.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment