Sunday 3 April 2011

Barkham Mad!

Barkham Church nestles quietly in a little lane away from the hustle of the main village and is typical of the many flint faced buildings in this area. It's really quite beautiful at any time of day, but it is even more so at night I think. Lit from one side by the constantly busy village hall and on the other by the biggest full moon in 20 years (apparently... though obviously the moon itself is no bigger at all - it's just the same size as before but I guess we're a bit closer to it than we have been for 20 years!), anyway, I toddled down to the church that night (don't ask me which night 'cos it was ages ago now and I don't even remember what I did last night!!), a little uncertain as to how I'd get on. Last time I tried to take photos of a church after dark I nearly died of fright with all the strange noises and rustlings and things tugging at my jacket (turned out to be branches of a shrub but it felt very much like skeletal fingers to my heightened imagination!!). I also felt rather anxious at Auld Mr Soutar's Hoose up on Moulin Moor when I went there after dark, alone, stumbling about the boggy tussocks and trying to ignore the feelings that 'something' was at my back all the time! Barkham Church was a bit different though. This night, the strangest noise came from my keyring... I have a little pig with a blue light torch that shines from it's nostrils and oinks every time you switch it on! The torch was very useful so there was a fair amount of oinking going on, which would certainly put off anything that was lurking in the shadows with any mischevious intent!! There was also quite a noise coming from the party going on at the village hall. Not quite sure what the music was, but it certainly wasn't 'Village People' or any of the other cheesy party tunes we used to try and dance along to! Thankfully nobody came stumbling out of the party, because I'm not sure what they'd have made of a fleece-wearing anorak wielding a flashing oinking pig!! Barkham mad, probably! Rebecca, x http://www.rtphotographics.co.uk/ rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment