Wednesday 23 September 2009

Unashamedly geeky!!

I don't see what's wrong with being a geek. I've been called it many times over the years (well, since the word 'geek' was invented anyway, I just used to be a plain old 'weirdo' before that!), and where I used to be embarrassed, now I am proud. I am a geek, oh yes I am.

Let's look at the evidence. My favourite sandwiches are cheese and pickle. My favourite subject at school was geography, closely followed in joint positions by chemistry and biology. I am a photographer with a do-it-all camera, yet I choose to use it in full manual mode every time, including focusing. I like real ales, I hate lager. I can spell fashion, but after that I am left clueless. I get a nose bleed and altitude sickness if I go anywhere near a pair of stilettos and as for hair-do's, well, mine just doesn't.

So, where would an unashamedly geeky photographer go to with a picnic on a sunny weekend? To the beach of course! Ah, yes, not any old beach, this was Tentsmuir and it was the day of the Leuchars Air Show. Hurrah!!!



And what a beautiful day it was too. I started it in Dundee to capture sunrise over the Law from Balgay Hill,



then headed down to Clark's bakery for a coffee and an apple slice before nipping over the Tay Bridge into Fife. I parked at the edge of Tentsmuir Forest in Tayport to get some early morning views across the estuary and to do a spot of birdwatching (more evidence of very geekiness), and was well rewarded with some smashing views of a kingfisher as it darted along the shoreline. My day was already complete at that point, but it just kept getting better!!

Moving into Tentsmuir and around the headland, I found Lapland Bunting on the sea-buckthorn bushes as well as seals sunning themselves on the sands and a huge expanse of smooth soft sand all to myself. Wow.



I made my way down the beach to the perimeter fence of the air field at Leuchars and sat down to eat my cheese and pickle sandwiches, my plain crisps, and slurp on my coffee. Just perfect.



So why wasn't I in the airfield to watch the show? Well, I had thought that I was to be looking after the dog that day and so I couldn't take him in to the show, but it turned out that his dad was home and so he took him instead. Too late to try and get organised for the show, plus I'd already made up my mind that I was going on a photo foray round the beach, so I'm afraid I didn't go in to the show. But I have and I will again. It's a fabulous show, a great day out and more magical metalwork than any seriously serious geek could possibly need for a truly awesome experience.

Rebecca, x

www.rtphotographics.co.uk

rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment