Friday 7 May 2010

Viking Field

So now that I'm down in England again, my furry friend needs to find new places for his walkies. There is a lovely spot not far from where I'm staying known locally as Viking Field.



I have no idea where the Viking connection comes from... I wasn't aware that Berkshire ever really had a Viking connection. Plenty of Romans wandered about these parts, but I would have thought it a bit too far inland for the Vikings. I suppose the Thames would provide a convenient route through the land, but here in Wokingham we are still quite a distance from the river. I shall endeavour to find out for you... and for me. I am intrigued as to how Viking Field became Viking Field and so I shall do my utmost to find out.

My four-legged furry friend is very fond of the field already. It was bequeathed to the people of Wokingham in 1997 by Mrs N. Henagulph. A wonderful gesture and one that is very much appreciated by a lot of people here. There are 2 parts to the fields, the dog walking circuit and the children's area and playing fields across the gate. Divided by a very old mixed hedgerow and a high deciduous-wooded ridge (now also clothed in beautiful swathes of bluebells)



the dog walkers can do the rounds and the children can safely play apart, each in comfort and truly lovely surroundings. Hogan (the pooch) has met many new acquaintances, from the smallest Jack Russells to a Harlequin Great Dane. There is always a new rear to sniff, a new pup to chase, and a new human to fuss him and tell him he's gorgeous.



What a life!

From the human perspective, the field offers not only exercise and sociable exchanges, but is also an excellent wildlife spot. The birdlife is fantastic. Jays, Red Kites, Long-tailed Tits, all varieties of Woodpecker, and a myriad other feathery delights. If you go early enough there are deer,



and if you go at the right time, there are several varieties of owl too. There are so many different butterflies, wildflowers, bees, and goodness knows what else

.

I saw some kind of fly that I've never seen before yesterday... quite a few of them in fact. They seemed friendly though, not pesky at all, so they were just as welcome as everything else.

Berkshire is certainly not deficient in beautiful spots, far from it, but Viking Field, just because of it's proximity, it's name and the fact that Mrs Henagulph left it for us to enjoy, is a place that I shall enjoy very much! Thank you Mrs Henagulph on behalf of all of us!!

Rebecca, x
rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk
www.rtphotographics.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog Rebecca, I look forward to seeing shots of the Owls, Woodpeckers and other wildlife. Give Hogan a pat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Walter, I'll do my best with the wildlife!

    Just as an update, apparently there were Vikings here and the tree-lined ridge with the bluebells is a relic from that time... some kind of barrow or something. Dad says there was an archaeological dig here a few years ago, though nothing terribly exciting was found. Still very interesting though! x

    ReplyDelete