Tuesday 8 June 2010

Wheels at Wollaton!

I was back at Wollaton Hall in Nottingham last Sunday for Autokarna 2010... no, I'd not heard of it before either! I'll definitely go again though... what a show!!



It's a classic car show in the grounds of the very stately Wollaton Hall, and was easily a match for the show at Glamis Castle (which, for those who have been I'm sure you'll agree is also a fantastic show!).

Given the wild, wild night on Saturday, it could very easily have been a no-show, but the thunder clouds left, the rain stopped and the sun came out. There were a few puddles, but nothing to get in the way of a smashing display!

The cars were many and varied, but all were special. Not all to my taste, I must admit, but you can't help marvel and respect the huge amount of loving hours that go into restoring and keeping these cars going.

If I could have taken just one home? I don't really know which it would have been. There are so many that would suit so many different occasions or moods... not in a girly 'which shoes today' kind of way, but in a 'what kind of day is it today... nostalgia? speed? air through the hair? memories?'... that kind of way. Pretty high on the list would be the Austin Healey, it was absolutely beautiful!! Joining it would be the 1948 Jaguar, what a gorgeous, gorgeous car, lovely lines,



big beaming face,



and loads of personal happy memories of another big cat of the same breed. The Jag has always been really important to me...



That leaping cat will always remind me of Grampy, of Somerset, of sunny days and country lanes, the warm smell of leather and that amazing purr!

There were more than classics at the show though. It was also a family fun day out, the biggest ice creams in the world (well, not really but it was a big one, yum), and a stage for all the latest in the auto industry... and of course the AA, RAC, and all the other associated trades and groups. Talking of which, there was a fabulous old ambulance on show that is maintained and shown by the East Midlands Ambulance Service. Apparently they have a few vehicles and it was lovely to see them there (for those who don't know, I was a paramedic for quite a few years and loved it). The two very nice chaps showing the ambulance were out of uniform (quite rightly) and not obviously associated with EMAS, as this is a voluntary thing run by a group of enthusiasts, and not an open advert for the service. I love that, and I was so impressed to see the vehicle and the warmth that came with it. I hope EMAS continue with it, and that if you ever see them at shows, take a wee while to have a look and chat to the guys.

Autokarna will be back at Wollaton next year... and I'm rather hoping that I will be too!

Rebecca, x

http://www.rtphotographics.co.uk/
rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment