Tuesday 18 January 2011

Bittern by Dinton!

Dinton Pastures Nature Reserve, on the outskirts of Reading in Berkshire, is a wee haven for commuter weary locals, for dog walkers, birdwatchers, anglers and wind surfers.



I fall into the weary, dog-walking, bird-watching local category, and Dinton Pastures never fails to do it for me! It's always a treat and I go along as often as I possibly can... which, unfortunately is actually not that often! Hey ho!!

Any time of year is a good time to go, but it looks especially stunning in the autumn sunshine.



Winter is perhaps a bit drab on the landscape here, but of course a bit of snow can always work wonders when coupled with a blue sky... though I haven't actually seen any blue sky and snow together for quite some time now, not since being back in England anyway!

However, one very big redeeming feature of Dinton Pastures in the winter, is the chance of seeing the Bittern. (If you're lucky. I'm not!!!) There is a lovely reed bed on White Swan Lake (or is it Black Swan Lake? It's one of the two anyway!) that provides shelter for this awkward but magnificent-looking bird. Apparently. I haven't seen it yet, though not for want of trying!!!

I was up there a few weeks ago with a very good friend of mine, who isn't the slightest bit interested in ornithology, but was very excited to see the Bittern flying across the front of the reed bed... while I had my binoculars pointed in the opposite direction!! She very good-naturedly called out to me "there it is... oh, it's gone!" and then laughed... and laughed, and laughed, and laughed a bit more! Thanks Helen!!!

We've been back to Dinton Pastures a few times since then, but no sign of the Bittern!

Unfortunately for my birding, some of the anglers have decided to use the pontoons in the reed beds rather than the ones that are so numerously placed around every part of all the lakes here. Grrr! They have every entitlement to be there, but it is incredibly annoying to those of us who want a glimpse of these shy birds.

Helen says she doesn't mind... 'cos she's already seen it. Ha!

She sent me a couple of texts that night to tell me not to worry or to get too upset, we'd be bound to see one again, though maybe I'd 'bittern off more than you can chew'. Following an appopriate response, she then sent another text bidding me sweet dreams and hopes that I didn't get 'bittern' by the bed bugs!!! Ho ho, so funny!!!!

I shall keep coming back to Dinton Pastures and allow the peace and tranquility to wash over and relax me... well, as peaceful and tranquil as you can get with the M4 traffic thundering along right beside you!!! But, surprisingly, the noise from the motorway seems to disappear within a few minutes of arriving.



I think the visual calm and the inner peace very quickly over-rides the din, so it is easy to forget it's even there! A lovely place for a bimble, give it a go if you get the chance!

Rebecca, X

www.rtphotographics.co.uk
rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment