Tuesday 18 January 2011

Splash & Dash

Also back in November was a wet and wild trip up to Nottingham! I had a wonderful week exploring the area, splashing around the National Watersports Centre at Holme Pierrepont and, of course, getting dirty again in Derbyshire!

This was my first trip up to Holme Pierrepont and I have to say that I was really impressed.

Not only does it have facilities for just about any type of boat and canoe sport you can think of, it is also very nicely landscaped, easily accessible and pretty much slap bang in the middle of the country... so why didn't it get the Olympic support for 2012?



It would have been fantastic to bring some much-needed and very well-deserved positive publicity for the lovely folks of Nottingham! It's beyond me why it wasn't chosen; investment in this area is so much needed and would have been such a boost, not only to the local economy but also to the local people. I don't know where the watersport events will be held, but I really am very disappointed that it won't be centred here!



Let's hope they do get something from the Olympics, they certainly deserve to in my (yes, admittedly ignorant) opinion!

Anyway, from watching the fit young folks splashing through the white water at Holme Pierrepont, I ventured into Derbyshire with a slightly older but equally fit companion for a splash around with a difference!

Rich's Land Rover Discovery is 4x4 fun in the extreme...



er, well, actually not really that extreme because Rich is a very considerate and careful driver, not only for his passengers but particularly for the countryside! Now I know there will be plenty of people choking on their brew about that wee statement, but I stand by it.



Where 2 cars have been required, Rich will take everyone in one. Where so-called 'Chelsea Tractors' clog up the urban streets with just mummy and 2.4 children on board, Rich uses his vehicle for getting people out into the countryside, where knowledge and new-found love for all things green actually strengthen the causes of conservation!



In the recent snows, when many people couldn't get to work around Nottinghamshire, Rich was out there picking them up and getting them in for their shifts... all ambulance staff, all essential, and all would have been stuck without the Land Rover!

So, there is, in my opinion, a perfectly valid place in the UK for the 4x4, and I was more than happy and willing to be along for the ride!



I shall also fight the corner of the responsible green laners... they will not drive on the restricted byways or footpaths or bridle paths, they will always drive slowly and carefully, still having fun but not destroying the lanes in the process!!

The irresponsible green laners are a nightmare and should be reported and banned and hounded out of the countryside, I've no issues with that, but please, if you are in any doubts, believe me that not ALL 4x4 drivers are irresponsible or single-handedly responsible for global warming and the melting of the polar ice-caps!!!

No, I don't have a 4x4, but I have nothing against anyone who does and who uses it responsibly!

Rebecca, X

www.rtphotographics.co.uk
rebecca@rtphotographics.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment